Sunday, October 3, 2010

You have a mid-western look about you...

When I get off work, I'm allowed to have one free beer. Obviously, I take advantage of this perk after every shift, drinking all the different English/Irish beers we have on tap. Well, every time that I sit at the bar after work, I get "hit on" or men talk to me and we end up in long conversations until I finish my beer, and they ask if they could buy me another, I say there is a one drink minimum, because there is, as an excuse to leave, and I go. Well, yesterday, this happened around 3:30 when I got off my breakfast shift and I sat and had a Newcastle (me favorite) and I tried to see if Patty the bartender would turn one of the TVs to the Tech game. A good looking 40-50 year old man told me that game just wasn't important enough. We got to talking about football, ragging on Tech for being beaten by JMU, so on and so on. He said he was from Ohio, said he moved to NYC on business, and said nothing more about his job. I assumed he was secret service, since we get a lot of those in the pub, because he had a cop look to him, and he was wearing a blue shirt with a kind of militant emblem. So we went on to talk about everything from football to my whole life story, to Al's wedding, to how much I wanted to kill his ex-girlfriends, he said "you have a mid-western look about you" yada yada, until I finished my beer. He offered to buy me another and I told him no, just like the other times with the other men. He kind of got quiet after that. And then I left and told him thank you for suggesting Little Italy and China town to eat, and that I would visit the world trade centers and take the ferry around to see NYC from the water. 

So tonight, we had Sunday Night Football on in the bar and people were commentating on NBC, and there he is. This guy I met in the bar. This guy I had a bunch of good laughs with and talked football and told my life story. I was shocked. I did a double take. Who is this guy?

Dan Patrick. Of the Dan Patrick show. Of NBC Football of ESPN of Sports Illustrated of movies, television, radio. What?! I had NO IDEA WHO HE WAS! Maybe that's why he talked to me for a while, but no wonder he said I seemed like a mid-westerner...who didn't own a television. And I told him that I liked football. Well, obviously not enough. 

If you're like me and didn't know, heres a link to his website: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/

Hopefully he'll come back into the bar...and maybe I wont turn down his drink this time. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment